Monday, March 25, 2013

Chalkboard Paint Week!!: DIY Chalkboard Table for Kids

I know...long title for a post..sorry about that! :) I thought it would be fun to do multiple post this week all dedicated to chalkboard paint and the fun things you can do with it! Its super easy, affordable, and the possibilities are endless! I'll give you a few ideas :) 

First things firsts: Chalkboard paint. I just use the ol' regular black paint. I LOVE the look! I guess I like my chalkboard projects to look like a chalkboard :) There are tons of recipes where you can make your own chalkboard paint and tint it whatever color you want. I have not tried these yet but go ahead! :) This is the paint I use :
Rust-Oleum Specialty 30-oz. Specialty Flat Chalkboard Paint 
You can find it at Home Depot for just over $9..and it last FOREVER!! I have used my ONE can for all the projects I will be showing you this week, and I still have tons left! So I would recommend getting this verse the spray cans, they don't last nearly as long and are about the same price. 
So lets see our first project!!

Chalkboard Table for Kids:

This is a super easy project that your kids will LOVE. All the kids on our street always want to draw on this table :) 

I just bought an old coffee table off KSL for $10:


And then I painted it!! Easy as that :) I didn't take many pictures of the process but it was simple.

I sanded it down quickly to help smooth it out and so the paint would stick better. I decided to paint the legs a different color (not chalkboard paint). I put the coffee table upside down so as not to worry about painting the top, and quickly painted the legs. I did 2 coats, letting it dry in between.

When the legs were all dry, I stood it back upright and quickly painted the top with the chalkboard paint. I used a foam brush and once again did 2 coats, letting it dry in between. 

Once it has dried for a day or two (I know that seems a while but try not to touch it! ) you will want to "condition" the chalkboard. Simply rub chalk ALL over the chalkboard, then wipe off with a dry rag.

And you are done! :) Let the Kids enjoy it!!!


 I made this simple chalk holder by hot gluing twine (from Walmart) to the outside of a (clean) sour cream container! Super easy, cheap, and cute :)



Lucy Loves it! ..and you can always tell when Dad is enjoying it as well..somehow pictures of guns will appear?? :)

..and I don't really know why there is a hammer and other tools on the table..
we were probably working on another project!! :)



1 comment:

  1. Awesome post! Thanks for sharing this valuable & informative information. I must say that you have done a commendable job with it! Keep it up!!
    L Shape Sofa Hong Kong

    ReplyDelete